Issues Surrounding Student Leader Say in House Aequor

By Moraima Silva

There was a large number of student participates during costume day.

Some Aequor leaders have said that they had felt left out of the decision planning of this years Halloween spirit week. While Aequor leaders brainstormed for themes, adult staff had the final say in the themes chosen.

Spirit week occurred during the week of Halloween. The themes included Halloween costume day, Adam Sandler day, Fall Best for Fall Fest (as well as another make-up costume day), house shirt day, and Dress to Impress. House points had been given to each house based on participation.

Aequor leaders only planned the first two days of spirit week themselves. This reportedly isn’t the first time there’s been issues surrounding little student say in the house. 

“A lot of the house have been dealing with leadership problems with mentors taking too much and just planning the full thing,” writes Aequor house captain Thalia “T” Wright, “but there are things getting planned to help to build the house system to what it actually is supposed to be.”

Last year before the house system was implemented, the Student Council planned spirit week for halloween. 

Hailey “Lee” Degaldo, a member of the student council last year says she thinks back then there still could have been more of a collective student say as well. 

“I know for a fact there could’ve been more student involvement rather than just STUCO involved,” they said, “I feel like we could’ve sent out a form or some sort of way for options of what people wanted to do.”

The decision about themes for the week was made after a meeting was held amongst leaders where they had proposed ideas and planning had occurred. 

“I didn’t even know they had a meeting where they were talking about it,” said Thalia Williams whom is another Aequor leader, “They said it was already over and done with so we couldn’t fix anything because it was already in our gmails.”

However house student leaders were generally happy with the themes chosen for the days, although there was a general consensus at the time of wednesday not being an actual theme. 

Spirit week, despite the happenings behind the scenes, was still successful. 

“I think with future events we will learn from what happened,” writes Thalia Wright, “and just make sure student voice is completely leading it.”

Recently however, there has been some improvement with the Deck the Halls competition as well as the house community in general. 

Aequor was assigned the theme of window shopping. Student leaders were able to brainstorm ideas for what each shop would be, then proposed it to students to pick which shops in a vote. Afterwards students would choose which shop they wanted to work on and took control from there. 

“One of the hardest things I think we’ve found is we have a lots of very great ideas,” says Aequors house leader, Mr. Houpert, “It’s then the logistics of getting it done that is challenging.” 

SHA promotes itself as a school that strives for student say, and there will always be places to improve on that in every aspect.